Click here to return to the Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association Home Page The Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association
The HPOCA forum and discussion boards, your Hart Parr, Cletrac and Oliver Tractor and Farm Equipment Resource.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint Codes for Oliver and related equipment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association Forum Index -> Oliver Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPeterson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Paint Codes for Oliver and related equipment Reply with quote

I went to the www.oliverinformation.com site and noticed the link to the paint codes is gone. What does the club think of starting our own paint code database? I have some of the color codes for PPG acrylic enamel, urethane single stage and base coat but before I would want to post them I would like to compare notes with others that have what they believe are the correct color codes. Some of the members have shared with me what they feel are correct colors for some Oliver related machines and I feel it is important to document the results of the research they have done. This info when completed could be posted on a FAQ page.
The other thing I would like to see is a page dedicated to tractor show dates similar to the national show page. It would be nice if it could be set up in a calender format or even a page sorted by dates.
Another page for the FAQ file would be serial numbers for Oliver tractors.
I know this is quite a bit of work but in the end it would benefit the club members to have a place to go to find out what the collective wisdom of the group has to say about all things Oliver.
Steve Peterson
Chris Losey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

These are all good ideas. I was kind of leery about posting paint codes and serial numbers, as there are people out there selling books with this info in it, and I'm not looking to step on anybody's toes. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that that information is somewhere in the public domain, and should be where it can do the most good.

I have some paint codes here that I can add to the site, but would be happy to add the ones you have as well. Here's what I have:

SUGGESTED TRACTOR PAINT NUMBERS
Courtesy of Dumont’s Decals

All 99L #‘S are Martin Senour brand of paint
IMPORTANT UPDATE June 17, 2009: The Martin Senour paint has changed formulations, and are no longer an exact match. Please scroll to the bottom of this thread for the latest updates.

OLIVER & HART PARR
GREEN
Hart Parr- 12-24, 16-30, 18-36,28-50 99L - 8758
Hart Parr- 18-27, 18-28, 28-44, HP 70 99L - 11513
Hart Parr 70 Orange Frame Stripe 99L - 10091

Oliver 60, 70, 80 Rowcrops & Standards 99L - 8748
Oliver 90,99 99L - 8748
HG Crawler 99L - 8748

Oliver Fleetlines, 66, 77,88, 99 99L - 8746
(1947 to 1951)

Oliver Fleetlines 66, 77, 88, 1952 & up 99L - 3751
Oliver Supers 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99 99L - 3751
Oliver 440, 550, 660, 770, 880, 990,995 99L - 3751
Oliver 1600, 1800, 1900, 50, & 55 Series 99L - 3751
and all to the end of the Oliver line

RED
All tractors up to the 3 digit models 99L - 3752

YELLOW
All tractors up to the 3 digit models 99L - 11611

CLOVER WHITE
All 3 number & 4 digit tractors
HEATHER GREEN (PPG Brand) DAR 46536

Oliver Industrial Orange 99L - 1952

CLETRAC & OLIVER CRAWLERS

Orange 99L - 1952
Oliver OC-3 Crawler Green 99L - 8748
Oliver OC-3, OC-4, OC-6 Crawler Yellow 99L - 42586

COCKSHUTT
Flame Red (PPG Brand) MAE 72838B
Jonquil Cream (PPG Brand) MAE 3945A

Last edited by Chris Losey on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
SPeterson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris
I am going to take your numbers and cross reference them with my PPG rep to make sure the numbers I have cross to the Martin Senour ones you listed. Last winter Lyle and Helen were kind enough to share the Mist Green color number they used on a tractor Lyle was painting. I will post them when I get a few minutes.
I am glad to be part of such a friendly club.
Steve
calvin innes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: paint codes Reply with quote

thanks for the paint code info!! I have been looking for the OC-3 paint codes for the industrial yellow. You've helped out already!! Very Happy Very Happy
Cal
Oliver66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve & Chris:

Having all the paint codes would be a great service to a lot of people restoring Olivers. I saw the Mist Green 880 at Lyle & Helen's later the same day he painted it. The color turned out great. It wasn't easy for Lyle to match the original Mist green. The manufacturers have changed some of the tints since 1959.

--Marc--
David H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Paint codes Reply with quote

The paint codes that your looking for are on "oliverinformation.com" you need to click on FAQ , that is where I found them. David H.
SPeterson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry sent me an email saying she has put the paint code page back up. I still think they should be posted here on the club's website.
Steve
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Dumonds get enough credit for their effort in assisting in the refurbishment of our collections. Did you know they furnish us, free of charge, hand out lists, for every event where HPOCA sets up a booth. All we need to do is let them know when the supply is low. These handouts give paint codes, and what decals they offer. If you have a need for a decal on a production model, they might even get a supply made, but they might need something to use as a pattern. Lyle and Helen has been doing a good job for many years in helping us out. Most of the paint codes out there are copies of their work.
Take care!!!
Andy
Chris Losey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on this paint code thing some more, and I contacted Dumont's to see if they have any PPG codes. Here's what Helen sent me:

Fleetlines late 51 and after, Supers, 3 & 4 digit tractors Green MAE-45641, this is the Meadow Green that is on most Olivers.

Clover White DAR-46536
Orange frame stripe for 70 HP DAR-60080

I also did some searching on the web, and came up with a couple of cool web sites. I think they both use the same program, but one is from NAPA, and the other is from Sherwin Williams

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/formula/cross_reference.cfm

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/formula/cross_reference.cfm

When entering paint numbers, I found it was best to select the brand and use just the code after 99L (don't put in the 99L) for Martin Senour paints. From there a user can cross the paint to any grade of paint, and if you are a registered user, will give you the 'recipe' for that color. I'm guess you need to be a pint dealer to do this, as I haven't tried to set up an account. Still yet, you might be able to give the web address of one of these sites to your paint place to get a mix.

Because of these sites, I am now assuming that the Martin Senour paint numbers have changed slightly, and maybe this is causing some of the confusion. Example: the old number for meadow green was 99L-3751. It now looks like it should be 99-3751-L. (See http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/formula/formula_lookup.cfm for reference.) Maybe this will help makes these codes easier to cross over.

I am also going to attach a handy dandy paint code data sheet sent to me by ABtractor. This is a PDF file, about 380k, so it may take a few minutes to download with dial up, but well worth it. There are 121 pages, and Oliver starts on page 94. It is supposed to be Dupont codes with other brand equivalents. Other than the Martin Senour numbers, I have not tried any of these, so make sure it looks good before you buy 5 gallons.

paint codes.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  paint codes.pdf
 Filesize:  381.4 KB
 Downloaded:  33267 Time(s)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
This is great paint info. Is it possible to put a page together on this site so it can be referenced by anyone in need of it? It sure seems there is frequent demand for it. Another page that could be put up is one for parts sources....sure seems people frequently ask for sources of parts(me included) It could be added to by folks that have found a local source. Just my 2 cents.....
Cal
Chris Losey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received another link from ABtractor for a site with PPG paint codes.

http://www.worldpath.net/~thompson/misc/PPG%20Tractor%20Colors.htm

It has codes for several brands of tractors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

One thing Bob Tallman once told me is the paint would never match 100%, close, but no cigar. He told me he would get shipments of equipment, it would all be Oliver green, just not every piece the same exact shade. That stands to reason, formulas do change, as well as paint ingredients. One thing that can be done is to take a part that is the color you want to a paint center, most have color computers now days, and can make a match, but then application can affect the shade, we learned that in the body shop several years ago. Air pressure and spray gun settings can make a difference.
Take care!!
Andy
k1burner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for the 4 digit cockshutt (oliver) white that was used, I think it was clover white but would like to see if anyone can confirm it.
Thanks
Ollie Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, I saw that the fleetline and triple digit series have the same paint code for the green, are they really the same color? I thought the fleetlines were a little darker.
Chris Losey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Fleetlines were darker, there is a code for in that list at the beginning of this topic. 1947-1951.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from Lyle and Helen Dumont about the Martin Senour paint codes. Apparently they have changed and people are no longer getting the right colors. Lyle has new ones to share with us.

Quote:
Hi Chris & Becky, just a note to bring to your attention in case you are not aware or if you haven't had any phone calls regarding the Martin Senour paint. Martin Senour Paint Company has dropped some of the color tints and most of the Oliver colors are no longer available in the correct shade. The colors are way off if they do mix according to the numbers that everyone has. We have had many phone calls regarding this problem. We have computer matched all of the Martin Senour paint numbers to PPG paint. It might be nice if you could put an article in the next issue of the magazine stating this problem and perhaps list the new numbers. We will no longer recommend the Martin Senour numbers, (the only problem is that all of our brochures list those #'s) so I will have to hand write all of the new PPG #'s on the lists. (FUN!!).
The numbers that we have are
PPG 45132 replaces 99L- 8746 Green for Fleetlines 1947-to 1951
PPG 45641 replaces 99L- 3751 Green for Fleetlines 51 & after, Supers, 50 & 55 Series
PPG 72296 replaces 99L-3752 Red
PPG 82748 replaces 99L-11611 Yellow
PPG 46536 Heather Green (Clover White)

These colors can be mixed in acyclic enamel or urethane which ever they prefer.

We haven't gotten the #'s back yet for the older tractors, but should have them by the end of the week, I will send them when they come.

I have checked these PPG #'s and they match very very close to the Martin Senour numbers.

Lyle & Helen

We'll post more as we get it, and will be including this information in the next issue of the magazine. Thank you Lyle and Helen for helping all of us out with this information.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've gotten another update, looks like the Meadow Green PPG number is not quite right. The only code we have that is a good match for Meadow Green is Dupont 5316A.

Please DO NOT use PPG 45132 or PPG 45641 and expect a correct color match. For what paint costs, it is always a good idea to get the smallest amount they will mix (usually a pint) and take it home and spray some on. If it is wrong, you don't have a lot invested and can use the little bit you did buy as an additional base coat.

The rest of the PPG numbers posted above appear to be correct. We will post further updates as we get them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest update on the paint codes...

Below are all of the new PPG paint #'s. PPG is Pittsburgh Paint, and at this time the new numbers will NOT cross over to other paints. They all look really close and I am sure most people will not notice a difference, but when you change brands there may be some slight variation and that applies here. The company sent the MS paint #'s in to the Chemist at PPG and he came up with the matches. The only problem is that until they get the numbers into the national system, (which takes a month or more) the numbers will only be able to be mixed if the person mixing the paint calls our local Arnolds store # for the paint formula. These new numbers will also be available in Canada. These are new numbers that PPG have issued and will be assigned only to the Oliver tractors, so when a customer asks for the number it will say Oliver and the years that is it used, however the red and yellow may not say Oliver and may still indicate that it is used for other vehicles etc. The number that needs to be called for the formula is 319-653-5478, ask for Jason. Hopefully those stores mixing the paint will have the new formula disks in a short period of time. The cost of the paint will be approx $82.00 per gallon, so it is a good idea to get a sample before making a large purchase. And by all means, do NOT use the old Martin Senour numbers they no longer work.

PPG Paint #'s Acrylic or Urethane

Hart Parr 70 Orange Frame Stripe DAR 60080

70 Hart Parr Green 925954
Tractors 1930-1937

Oliver 60, 70, 80 Rowcrop & Standards 925956
Tractors 1938-1946

Fleetlines 66,77,88,99 Green 925955
Tractors 1947 to 1950

Fleetline 1951 & up Supers Green 926052
Tractors 1951 to 1975

RED 72296
YELLOW 82748

All 50 & 55 series Green 926052
Heather green(Clover White) DAR46536

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Is there a PPG # for the Hart Parrs, pre 1930? or was this color left out??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: paint Reply with quote

Schrier 22/40 wrote:
Is there a PPG # for the Hart Parrs, pre 1930? or was this color left out??

I'll get with Dumonts and see if they have anything for them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: 77 repaint Reply with quote

Here's a picture of our 77 that I just repainted. Even though the codes I used are not the same as Chris posted I think it looks good. WB<><.

HPIM0808.JPG
 Description:
1950 77 Row Crop
 Filesize:  89.17 KB
 Viewed:  44196 Time(s)

HPIM0808.JPG

oliverdude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some people becoming interested in White tractors and equipment, it would also be nice to have paint codes for the black and silver used on the tractors and the red and white used on the equipment. I think it's still available from dealers, but for how long?

Right now I would like to know the correct code for the red used on implements if anyone has the info.
ag6h48

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: paint colors for an oliver steering knob Reply with quote

were the steering knobs painted two tone in the 1960s

thanks
d roberson
Olitrac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Update for MS paint. Reply with quote

The Martin Senour paint codes are correct. The problem everbody is running into is the prefix code (99L, 90T, ect) is an obsolete paint line. Martin Senour replaced that line about 5-6 years ago with Crossfire. I am actually surprised these old tints are being used as recently as they are. The color matching problem everyone is running into is NEW tints cannot sub in OLD mix formulas. The place mixing the paint should know this. The color code is the same (example: 3751 Meadow Green). 99L prefix code is old obsolete Acrylic Enamel. This prefix on new numbers is also a price code, so not all Acrylic Enamel numbers, or Urethanes, will be the same prefix code. When you get paint mixed at a NAPA store, tell them the color code (ex. 3751 Meadow Green), and what line, Synthetic Enamel, Acrylic Enamel, Urethane, or Basecoat, you want it mixed in. FYI, I restore Oliver tractors, most recent MS used @ 3 weeks ago. Green is perfect match to originals and MS Clover White (4331) is EXACTLY like originals I have been around.
jannypan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to take your numbers and cross reference them with my PPG rep to make sure the numbers I have cross to the Martin Senour ones you listed. Last winter Lyle and Helen were kind enough to share the Mist Green color number they used on a tractor Lyle was painting. I will post them when I get a few minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association Forum Index -> Oliver Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: